Chair Force Engineer

Monday, April 17, 2006

Zuul the Gatekeeper

Moving into a new building is hard. It's even harder when a dozen people are relying on a single set of keys for entry into that building.

My story began almost two weeks ago when I submitted a request with Chugach, the contractor who runs the facilities, to cut five sets of keys for my building and the individual locks. I submitted the request on a Tuesday afternoon, and was told that it had to be approved by the fire department first. "We submit the info to the fire department on Thursday mornings," the Chugach receptionist told me. This already peeved me off, but it was a taste of things to come.

Eventually my co-workers got impatient about their keys (and rightfully so,) so I rattled a few cages and expedited the key approval process. I found out late last Thursday that I could bring my key to the keysmith for duplication. The only problem was that he's only in his office from 1 PM - 1:30 PM.

On Good Friday, as I was leaving from work, I drove clear across base to the keysmith shop and arrived there at 1:15. Lo and behold, the keysmith was out on a job and was taking the next week off. Nobody could take my keys in the meantime. Happy Easter, sonofabitch.

This morning I called Chugach again and was able to get a hold of somebody who made keys on a substitute basis from 12:00-12:30. Still, I had to drive clear across base and back to get the job done.

In my experience, Chugach has been slower than molasses in January (with the exceptions of the Readiness guys and the plumbers.) Still, I've been told that things were appreciably worse when Air Force civil servants ran the facilities.