Chair Force Engineer

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Voices of Reason

Over the last year and a half, I've been kicking myself over the missed signs that could have prevented me from the terrible life choices that I have made. Up until now, I didn't think there were too many signs that could have steered me away from the Air Force in time to salvage my life.

Recently, I realized that there were two voices in the wilderness who spoke to me during my senior year in high school. The first of those voices was a friend of mine, who resembles "The Penguin" from Tim Burton's Batman Returns. He said to me, "You don't respect anybody, do you? How do you expect to be a military officer?" The other was my cross country coach, who pointed to my immaturity and inability to take things seriously. He also questioned my ability to be a military officer.

In hindsight, I didn't simply ignore these two voices of caution. I really did take their advice to heart. Unfortunately, I had other voices (with vested interests in the Air Force) who drowned out the voices of reason. Although I didn't realize it at the time, this was a case where it really pays to learn who to trust, and to discern which people really have your best interests in mind.

To the two people who tried to steer me straight, I can only offer my apologies for having discarded your advice. I will never question your judgement on these issues again.